What is Optometric Vision Therapy?
Vision Therapy is a rehabilitative program, prescribed to treat developmental and/or neurologically induced dysfunctions of the visual system. The American Optometric Association defines Vision Therapy as a sequence of neurosensory and neuromuscular activities individually prescribed and monitored by a doctor to develop, rehabilitate, and enhance visual skills and processing. Vision Therapy improves EYE-BRAIN-BODY integration.
Vision Therapy incorporates visual skills, movement, balance, visual processing, visualization, auditory processing and cognitive abilities. This encompassing treatment allows our patients to improve their visual-motor-processing skills. End result: increased school and/or work success, sports performance and confidence.
Unlike self-directed programs of “eye exercises” marketed to the public, in-office Optometric Vision Therapy is conducted under the supervision of an optometrist and supported by ongoing, evidence-based scientific research.
Vision Therapy can help patients of all ages with conditions related to:
- Vision-Related Learning Problems (such as dyslexia)
- Oculomotor Dysfunctions (eye tracking)
- Amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Strabismus (cross-eyed, wandering eye, eye turns, etc.)
- Binocular Vision Problems/Coordination (eye teaming disorders)
- Convergence Insufficiency (near vision disorder)
- Diplopia (double vision)
- Stress-Related Visual Problems – (Visual Stress from Reading, Visual Stress from Computers, Eye Strain Headaches, and/or Vision-Induced nausea or Vision-Induced Motion Sickness)
- Visual Processing Disorder
ARE YOU/YOUR CHILD A CANDIDATE FOR VISION THERAPY?
- Difficulty reading and/or resistance to reading
- Using fingers to read/keep place
- Poor reading comprehension or fluency
- Poor memory
- Poor handwriting
- Academic inconsistency
- Poor classroom performance
- Difficulty staying focused
- Poor eye-hand coordination
- Difficulty judging space, tripping/bumping into things often
- Constant squinting/closing/covering an eye
- Dry and/or tired eyes
- Head tilting
- Headaches, eye strain, and/or fatigue after reading and/or computer work
What is Vision Rehabilitation/Neuro-Optometric Vision Rehabilitation?
Visual problems are often overlooked during initial treatment of a brain injury and in some cases, symptoms may not be present until sometime after the injury. Left untreated, visual system disorders can have serious consequences. If you notice any changes in your vision following a concussion or some other head trauma, don’t ignore them: Immediately contact us. Early diagnosis leads to appropriate visual treatment.
At Hellerstein & Brenner Vision Center, P.C., we provide specific vision evaluations, neuro-optometric vision rehabilitation and education for patients with:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Concussion, Stroke, Dizziness, Birth Injury, Brain Damage, Head Injury, Whiplash, Cerebral Palsy, Multiple Sclerosis, etc.
- Developmental Delays, Attention Deficit Disorders, Autism Spectrum Disorders, etc.
Vision Therapy Makes a Difference!
For our daughter, Vision Therapy has made a massive difference in school and her reading and writing abilities. This year alone, she has increased 3 reading levels in just 4 months.
The vision therapy is fantastic. It made a huge difference for my daughter.
The vision therapy team are so great with the kids they assist. What a gift to have such a cohesive group of professionals. Truly a great practice, and I highly recommend them!
Our 7-year-old was diagnosed as bright, but his grades did not reflect that. After our son did his initial vision therapy we noticed a huge difference in his ability to learn. The techniques that they have taught us has made it so we can continue to foster his learning. Our son now expresses a confidence that he never had before! The therapy is the best investment we did for our son!
My son went through vision therapy and he had a great experience. The team is wonderful—they are knowledgeable and work well with both kids and parents. My son had homework to do every week and the instructions given to us were clear and included lots of variations for us to choose from. Dr. Hellerstein is one of the best in the field and followed up on my son’s progress regularly. Her follow ups were very informative. We saw huge improvements in my son’s vision. I highly recommend Hellerstein & Brenner. In addition, my family goes to Hellerstein for regular eye care. We are very happy with the care we receive.